How do I become an EMT in California
EMT - Emergency Medical Technician The EMT-Basic course is designed to train individuals in skills and knowledge necessary to complete the National Registry EMT examination and achieve certification as an Emergency Medical Technician.
California EMT Basic Course
- 1 Complete all didactic assignments online
- 2 Attend and complete the Skills & Clinical Week in Pearland, TX
- 3 Obtain your Course Completion Certificate
- 4 Pass the NREMT Cognitive Exam back in California
- 5 California is a reciprocity state, which means you can be easily become certified after completing our EMT course and your NREMT exam. Here are the additional requirements:
This information taken from the "Certification and Licensure Requirements" document found here
Individuals from out-of-state who meet one of the following criteria and complete the application requirements of a certifying entity are eligible for certification:
- 1. Pass the NREMT written and skills examination and have either:
- a. Documentation of successful completion of an approved out-of-state initial EMT training course, within the last two (2) years that meets California’s EMT training requirements, or
- b. A current and valid out-of-state EMT certificate.
- 2. Possess a current and valid National Registry EMT-Basic registration certificate.
- 3. Possess a current and valid out-of-state or National Registry EMT-Intermediate or Paramedic certificate.
Our Online EMT Course does meet the California requirements:
- • 160 hours total
- • 136 hours didactic
- • 24 hours clinical
- • 10 patient contacts